Apr 14, 2009

Big news at work: Moving on up?

So a position has come open at work that I'm kind of really excited about. I don't want to get my hopes up too high because I know there is at least one other highly qualified person at work who is interested in the position (and there are possibly others), and I don't want to get myself all worked into a tizzy when it's very likely I won't get it. BUT...

It's a project management position, which I think sounds like a basket of kittens. While I really love web developing (I've been coding for half my life at this point—I think I would have to like it to do it for so long), I'm always excited about the opportunity to try something new, and I've been wanting to get more involved in the process that goes into getting a massive corporate website like the one I work on from rough sketches on paper to being live on the internet pretty much since I started at my current company. It would be a really big step up, but I feel like it would be something I'd be very good at doing. To be honest, just thinking about it makes my inner control freak (who is not so internal sometimes) start doing cartwheels. That's not to say I want to control everything. I'm just saying I have a knack for finding efficient, effective ways for getting things done, and I often find myself saying at work, "You know, there's a better way to do this." I think that makes me pretty spot on for this position. I know I'll still have a lot of people over me, but this way I would have a lot more input, for influencing process, and a lot more potential to really do some great things at work.

So keep your fingers crossed for me. Like I said, I don't know how good my chances are or if I'm even in the runnings, so I'm not getting cocky about it. I just think this is a fantastic opportunity, and it's always good to have something to be excited about, right?

PS: I realize all of this is being pretty vague. I just don't want to get too specific since I'm still not entirely comfortable with blogging about work.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds great! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news so far. I understand you don't want to get too hyped about it, but let us know any updates

    Have you ever had any assignment/deadline where your boss relied on your suggestions/ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that! It sounds like that would be perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful! Good luck with that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, hi there! I just wanted to leave you comments on your various sites telling you how awesome I think your blog is. And how you like Wheel of Time. And you know, singing to your oatmeal. Glad to have started reading you! :)

    ReplyDelete