Aug 11, 2009

Behind the scenes

So I haven't really been talking much about what I've been up to these days, and surprisingly, it's been a lot. After putting on 15 lbs. in a handful of months (I can only assume that turning 25 means your metabolism gives out on you), I decided it was time to stop pretending that the weight was going to magically come off in my sleep one night and start being healthier. I've been working on improving my diet (no more Dr. Pepper, no more junk for breakfast, lunch and dinner), and I've been doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical 5 times a week. I have the not-so-greatest knees, so the low-impact workout I think is a nice way to ease into the habit without hurting myself or scaring myself away from at least trying.

So far, no noticeable weight loss, but I do feel better, and that's good enough reason for me to keep doing it. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm actually doing something, and it's just nice to feel like I haven't quit something lately.

I've also been working on improving my photoshop skills, building my professional website, and also doing more web work to build my portfolio. That takes up a lot of my spare time.

While my adult community band is on a temporary late-summer break, I've been ramping up my activities with the local alumnae chapter of my sorority. I'm the VP of Communication, which means I basically build and maintain the website and show up to officer meetings to help with activity planning for the whole year. I'm pretty excited about it, particularly our upcoming Founders' Day festivities, which I have never been able to participate in and for having activities to dress up for once again. Jeans and t-shirts get old after a while...

The weekend schedule is also getting crazy. The week before last my parents were in town, I don't even remember what I did last weekend, and then this weekend just past, Kellen's friends from college came into town to visit before they move off to Hawaii (so jealous), Saturday night I hosted a Rock Band party for co-workers at my house, and on Sunday we went down to Salem to see the new house (with air conditioning!) some friends of ours moved into. This weekend, my friends from college, Will and Kim, are coming into town so I'll be showing them around Portland. Kellen will be preparing for Burning Man (including buying a beater to drive out there and a boat load of supplies), which he leaves for next Saturday and won't be back from until the next weekend. One of those weekends, I have plans to help clean up at a local elementary school before school starts back.

Once Kellen is back, we've got two weekends in a row of out-of-town weddings, including his brother's which is going to be out in Bend. The whole shebang is happening out at FSIL's parents' house (future-sister-in-law) and the families are doing the catering, so that should be a super fun/super busy weekend.

Then, I think, we'll have one bless'd weekend free. Maybe.

At some point, I've got plans to go to Austin and/or San Diego, depending on money and time off, in October. Trying to decide where funds would be best allocated and which will involve the least amount of time/money spent. I've almost got my credit card paid off ($238 left!), and I'm apprehensive about putting a lot of new charges on it.

Oh, yes. And Kellen has been applying to jobs like crazy since his internship/school is up in December, and he will then be free to join the working world. So there've been a lot of resumes and cover letters floating around my house of late.

Band will start back sometime in September, and I'm thinking about taking a javascript course in November/December that will involve taking off from work early two nights a week and hauling butt all the way across Portland. So it's been busy, and who knows when it will let up? I'll try to keep you all posted though.

PS: Two women I work with announced they were pregnant at our team meeting on Monday. I'm on a small team. I'm beginning to think I should be concerned about what they're putting in our water...

2 comments:

  1. As long as it's not sperm, I think you should be okay (since that's how you get preggo, right?).

    Congrats on getting better discipline in your diet/exercise...I need to do that! For me, it's all or nothing...more often nothing. I need to set a small number of small steps, and just do them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I turned 26, I got serious about weight loss but I had to starve myself a month to do so. I'm happy with the results but it sure wasn't easy to achieve. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete