Aug 18, 2009

Grad school vs. real world...maybe grad school isn't that bad?

A while back I wrote a post that discouraged all but the most passionate from using grad school as an escape from the real world and the real recession. In it, I quoted Thomas H. Benton's persuasive summation of grad school: "Grad school is a confidence-killing daily assault of petty degradations. All of this is compounded by the fear that it is all for nothing; that you are a useful fool."

Having been out in the real world a while now, though, can I just say...I think you could substitute "Entry level jobs" for "Grad school," and that statement would still be just as true.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I'm not a grad school student but well I can feel it. I hate being at school ( I'm in my final year ) but I don't think working will make things easier for me. Or make me less stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember being there... it gets better, I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! I feel like I only see the walls in my cube too. I am glad that I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I become more and more fearful of grad school the more I realize I need it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm putting off grad school for a semester so for once I can actually read for fun without guilt for once!

    It's the first time I'm not going back to school this fall since kindergarten, except I'll be subbing so I guess I'm still technically going back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started grad school (part-time). I can easily say that the "real" world vastly conforms to that quote. I'm going after a degree that I really enjoy, one where the reading doesn't feel like work. Though I don't imagine that accounts for the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i sat that being in a graduate school is more than an excuse but it gives you a great overview of what the world like rather than after graduating you go to the sea full of dead fish.





    white swan scrubs

    ReplyDelete