Oct 15, 2009

So something big happened last night...

Here's my, as my dad called it, engagement bling.Yesterday was our second anniversary. It's been two years since Kellen and I started dating (again), and...to be honest, we didn't have any big plans for last night. Kellen had his brass ensemble practice, and I had big plans to do laundry and watch So you think you can dance? Exciting, right?

When I got home from work, though, Kellen was all excited because he got an e-mail saying Monsters of Folk were playing downtown that night, doors opening at 7, and he reeeaaaally wanted to go. Not only are they a great band, but one of the band members, Conor Oberst, was part of a little number called Bright Eyes. A Bright Eyes concert just so happened to be our first date, almost five years ago. It seemed like a pretty fantastic way to spend our 2-year anniversary.

I told him if he could swing some tickets and didn't mind missing band, I was down. (Very down.)

We headed downtown shortly thereafter and went to the box office to see about getting tickets, since we couldn't find any online. Just our luck, they had released some amazing tickets up close to the front. Kellen forked over some cash, and there we were--sitting 4 rows back in this amazing concert hall ready to watch us some Monsters. I'd never really been able to see the stage at a concert before (I'm really short), much less sit that close to the front, so I was very, very excited.

The show was SUPER FANTASTIC, and at the end, we were both amped up because it was a great performance. Kellen goes, "Do you wanna get someone to take our picture?" I'm a picture fiend, so I said sure. He goes over to a security guard and starts whispering to him. Then he hands the camera over, turns to me, and starts getting down on one knee while he holds out this black box.

I don't even remember him saying "Will you marry me?" I vaguely remember his mouth moving. I know I said YES! And then I poked him really hard and called him a jerk because I was completely surprised. Hehe. (I wasn't expecting it to happen for several months!) The ring was absolutely gorgeous, and I was more than happy to put it on my finger.

We got the camera back from the security guy and while he thought he'd taken pictures, he hadn't. BUT. Even without the pictures, I don't think I'll ever forget.

*siiiiigh*

I'm super duper happy. I've loved Kellen for years upon years. I've loved him through good and bad, and I know I'll always love him, no matter what. Lucky, lucky me, he feels the same way. I feel like I've won the lottery with him. He's such a wonderful person, and to think I get to spend the rest of my life with him...it doesn't get much better than that.

In all, I say this is building up to being the best week I've had in a very long time. Kellen got a second interview. We saw a great show. We got ENGAGED!!! We saw his parents last weekend for his birthday, and we'll see my parents this coming weekend. We're going to AUSTIN, my favorite city in the whole wide world. I couldn't have asked for a better week.

I still can't believe we're engaged!!! What am I supposed to do now? :)

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! How sweet and how awesome that you really didn't see it coming at all. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, musical and romantic. Congratulations. May you guys always stay ahead of the curve:

    http://bit.ly/jnpUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.What are you supposed to do now? Contrary to popular belief, enjoy being engaged. then set a date, then plan the wedding big or small. Tip (it's a celebration of both of you not any body else)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That stinks about the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray, Katie! I'm so happy for you, and that's such a happy proposal story! It's sweet without being lame! Yeah yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! That is such an amazing and sweet engagement story! Super surprise engagements are the best! (Not that I would know but I'm just saying!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mozel tov! I'm so happy for you! (and maybe a little bit jealous.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations!!! cute story.

    i agree with chudney about enjoying your engagement before diving into wedding planning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw congratulations! But will I be the only 20-something left with no direction, no engagement ring and a go-nowhere job???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have a ring, but I still don't know where I'm going with my career. No worries. We're all still trying to figure it out, engaged or otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! That's such a happy surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! Congrats--that's all so exciting! Enjoy Austin, and let me know if you want to slip away for a margarita, if you're not totally swamped!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!!! I'm in the same spot as you. I have the ring but we're still trying to figure things out and worry about college first. :) Congratulations again though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin, congratulations to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that's so awesome - what a great story to tell - thanks for sharing. best wishes forever onwards!!

    palonka

    ps: your ring is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh congratulations! That's fantastic news. Have a fantastic weekend celebrating with your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! I just started reading your blog, and then 'bam' you got engaged.

    ..and I LOVE that ring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yaaaaay!

    Did he plan the show thing? Or was that just a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. phew - Congratulations again. That's really fantastic, and though I pish-posh at the idea of a wedding, I secretly can't wait for my boyfriend to pop the question.

    ReplyDelete