Nov 16, 2009

The fiancee has a job!

HOO-RAY!

It's with the company he interned for a little over a year ago. He really liked the company then, and when he went back for his interview, he spoke with many people that he worked with before. Not that his superior intellect and social skills didn't have a lot to do with it, too. But it certainly helped that many people were familiar with the calibre of work he turns out and know that he's an all-around great guy.

He's not as excited about the work he's going into right now because it will be moving away from the embedded engineering that he loves so much, but I think that Kellen, as he usually does, will make the most of it and end up loving it. I think he's just feeling a little disappointed because he had to pass up on the second round of Microsoft interviews, which he was so excited about. They were unable to schedule his next interview before he had to return an answer to the company that extended the offer. The good thing is, though, that if he does end up being unhappy with the work, Microsoft has agreed to hold onto him as a candidate and will extend him a chance at a second-round interview in the spring.

The upshot is that we won't have to move, and I won't have to find a new job. He will be able to start the new job immediately after he finishes his current one, so he'll be able to maintain income. I think my favorite thing is that the benefits at his new company are markedly better than mine, so not only will he have health insurance for the first time in over two years, but I will be able to move over to his. I pay $140/month on my premiums by myself, and both of us on his will only be $200/month. Plus, his plan has better co-pays, better coverage, and OOP limits. That will save us some money for sure.

Also, because his new job pays well, we're really going to be able to enjoy our wedding/honeymoon in Mexico, pay off credit cards and put a serious dent in our student loan debt, and generally speaking put ourselves well on the way to responsible adulthood.

I know this is a lot of talk about money, but...I've been so worried that one or both of us would be out of work come the new year, and that best case scenario I'd be trying to support both of us on my salary. This good news has been such a relief! Now back to worrying about wedding stuff (btw, you can track the progress of our planning process at my new blog, The Better to Wed You With /shameless plug) and my old standby: what I want to be when I grow up.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! It seems like everything is coming together for you two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! :D

    now we'll definitely have to try to come back up for the beer fest next year... after we get jobs that extend past dec. 31... ::knock on wood::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! What a weight off your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete