Dec 8, 2009

An exciting morning...

The morning started off like any other. Kellen headed out the door at 6:20 for work, while I stayed in bed and watched 7th Heaven. About 20 minutes later, right before I hopped in the shower to get ready for work myself, Kellen called to say his car had died right in the big middle of I-84. The car had to be towed, I had to drive across Portland (twice) in rush hour traffic to get him, and chances are pretty good that his 1996 Crown Vic with 150,000 miles on it has completely lost its engine.

Which means, no more Crown Vic.

Thankfully, we still have the van that Kellen and Max bought to take to Burning Man--they were supposed to sell it as soon as they got back, so I guess sometimes procrastination is a good thing--so Kellen at least has transportation. We were also planning on getting him a new car in a couple of months anyhow. His new job starts next Monday, and his income will (hallelujah!) be doubling.

So it's not as if this is the worst thing ever. It just means we probably won't make as much money as we expected from selling his car. I can deal with that.

Kellen said sometime in the last couple of weeks that I don't seem to be worrying as much as I usually do. Think back, if you will, to February, when my old car was totaled and I was completely freaked out at the prospect of having to take on a car payment and the higher insurance that accompanies a new vehicle. My reaction to what is a very similar situation (loss of vehicle and taking on new expenses) is completely different. Kellen having a job I think is the biggest relief I can think of. We are now in a position where we can absorb those sorts of big, unexpected expenses.

Not super excited about the bill that is going to come from the body shop, still, BUT... It is nice that this whole thing happened NOW and not, say, a year ago, or even six months ago. It's nice to be able to take a bad situation and go, "Okay, not a super big deal, we can handle this."

No comments:

Post a Comment