Feb 9, 2010

Writing a letter of recommendation...for myself?

So at work, I've been presented with an opportunity. (Yeah. I'm just as shocked as you.) They are considering implementing Google Analytics on my company's entire website (which is pretty substantial), and they're looking for a person or team of people to head that up. One of my supervisors came to me and asked me if I knew anything about Google Analytics and if I'd be interested in the job.

I am fairly familiar with Google Analytics. I've implemented it on several of my own sites/blogs and helped my father-in-law implement it on his business website so he could get better statistics regarding where his web traffic comes from. I understand the basics of Analytics, insofar as they are useful to my sites. (I use the features that give me information on my users (country, language, browser), the content they view the most, and how they find my site (referring sites and keywords are probably the most useful.) There are some features I haven't used: events and goals.

And obviously, implementing Analytics on a super massive site like my company's, which actually has multiple sites within the larger site, would be a whole new ball game in terms of organization and quantity of data. It's not something I've done before...but is it something I know I can do? Yes. Is it something that has pricked my ears up? Oh, hell yes.

I'm really looking for growth. I've been frustrated over the past year or so that every time I've tried to move upward or outward, I've only managed to hit brick walls. The fact that I was approached for this (possibly because some of the managers are kind of snoopy and have seen my Analytics screen a few too many times--oops) is, regardless of the reason, pretty exciting. It means that they're starting to think that I might be capable of taking on greater responsibility, which is reassuring.

They've requested I submit a proposal recommending myself for the new position. I've spoken with the supervisor in a little more depth about what, exactly, they are looking for. I think I've got a pretty good idea but what I'm recommending myself for now, but I've never had to write a recommendation for myself.

Anyone have any suggestions or references?

25 comments:

  1. ALL CAPS, WITH DOUBLE THE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a really cool opportunity! i don't have experience with this, but make sure to mention some general qualities about yourself that make you sound good for this specific position...challenge seeker, problem solver, internet savy. Go get em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been reading chef paula deen's autobiography and she says to take risks when the worst case scenario doesn't bother you. write yourself one hell of a recommendation letter, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write it basically like a cover letter. Don't be afraid to brag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malaysia & Singapore & brunei best on-line blogshop for wholesale & supply korean
    accessories, earrings, earstuds, necklace, rings, trinket, bracelet & hair accessories.
    Offer 35 % wholesale markdown. Ship Worldwide
    My homepage - La Fiesta Condo

    ReplyDelete
  6. magnificent submit, very informative. I wonder why the
    other experts of this sector do not understand this.
    You must proceed your writing. I'm sure, you've a huge readers' base already!
    My web site: Trick Photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.
    I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
    Also visit my homepage : compare wedding Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in fact pleased to read this web site posts which
    contains lots of helpful facts, thanks for providing such data.



    My page ... d'nest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;)
    I may return yet again since i have book marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change,
    may you be rich and continue to guide others.


    My homepage d'nest
    My website - d'nest

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Cheers!

    my website; more information

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is among the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should
    observation on few general issues, The website taste is great, the articles is actually great
    : D. Just right job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, yup this paragraph is genuinely nice and I have learned lot of things
    from it regarding blogging. thanks.

    Also visit my site website

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A couple of my blog readers have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

    Here is my page - site

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good day! I could have sworn I've visited your blog before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it's new
    to me. Anyhow, I'm certainly happy I discovered it and I'll be
    book-marking it and checking back frequently!

    Also visit my website; more information

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work! This is the type of info that are meant to
    be shared across the internet. Disgrace on
    Google for no longer positioning this publish higher! Come on over and discuss with my website .
    Thank you =)

    My web page - more info

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Well written!

    My page; know more

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read so many articles on the topic of the blogger
    lovers but this piece of writing is genuinely a good paragraph,
    keep it up.

    Have a look at my blog post - Know more

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really inspired with your writing talents as neatly as with the format for your blog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you customize it yourself? Anyway stay up the excellent high quality writing, it's uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one these days.
    .

    Have a look at my homepage: site

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why people still make use of to read news papers when
    in this technological globe the whole thing is available on web?


    my site; visit link

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think what you published was very logical. But, think on this, what if you were to write a awesome headline?
    I ain't saying your information is not good., however what if you added a title that grabbed folk's
    attention? I mean "Writing a letter of recommendation...for myself?" is a little plain.
    You could look at Yahoo's front page and see how they create article titles to get people interested. You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to get people interested about what you've
    got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your posts a little livelier.


    Also visit my web page: more info

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post's to be exactly what I'm looking for.

    Does one offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web site!

    my page; website

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this article is nice, my sister is analyzing such things, therefore
    I am going to tell her.

    Here is my weblog :: sex voyeur

    ReplyDelete
  24. Every weekend i used to go to see this web site, as i want
    enjoyment, as this this website conations really fastidious funny material too.


    Also visit my blog: Sexygirlchat.Net

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself? Please reply back
    as I'm planning to create my very own blog and would like to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Thank you!

    Here is my weblog: cfnmfever.net

    ReplyDelete