Mar 1, 2010

I just thought of another great thing about our wedding date:

So we arranged our wedding date (March 16) largely around when my mom would be on spring break. No, my mom is not a college student. She is a principal for an elementary school. Anyhow, because it was almost impossible to find many days together in the spring where she wasn't going to be doing testing or supervising ballgames or any of the other myriad duties of a small town school administrator, spring break was really the best time for all of us to get away for a few days.

So one great thing about our wedding date: it's easy for my parents to come.

It's also the day before St. Patrick's Day which means Kellen pretty much never has an excuse to forget our anniversary. I never forget dates, but I'm willing to accept a certain degree of inevitability that someday I might not be as sharp as I am today, so in 60 years or so, I'm assuming this will be useful. (Personally, I'm hoping my memory is the last thing to go and that I hold onto all of my memories for-e-ver if for no other reason than to spitefully remind everyone of every time they've been wrong, but I've been right.)

The not so great thing about our wedding date? In addition to being during my mom's spring break, it's pretty much everyone else's spring break too. I'm hoping like crazy that we avoid the throngs of drunk 19-year-olds that are bound to be crawling all over the beach in Puerto Vallarta.

BUT. Tonight I remembered the absolute best thing about our wedding date: we'll be in Mexico the entire week of SXSW.

For the record, I hate SXSW. When I lived in Austin, it was mostly just annoying because if you stayed in Austin for spring break, you couldn't go anywhere without running into bajillions of people. Driving was miserable. Parking was (more) miserable (than usual.) Now that I don't live in Austin, though, it becomes the week that every pretentious d-bag with an internet connection descends on my beloved city and every single social network I'm on becomes flooded with their pretentious d-baggy bragging about going to all of the places I love.

This is incredibly unfair because 1) they get to be in Austin, and I don't, and 2) they are so busy bragging about how awesome they are for being at SXSW, they completely forget that they are in the best city in the world. Austin is not the backdrop for you to demonstrate your superiority against, and for not adequately appreciating Austin as being more than a place where you go to rub elbows with a bunch of other d-bags, what you actually demonstrate is how much you suck at life.

*cough*

So yeah. I have a lot of ire directed toward SXSW. And since I'm going to be in Mexico that entire week for the wedding and blissful honeymoon sans internet connection, that means I get to miss the whole goddamn thing...a complete impossibility if I were anywhere near the internet for that week, no matter how hard I try to avoid the ubiquitous, "Look how cool I am! I'm at SXSW!" posts/tweets/articles/etc.

I. Am. Excited. (Well, even more than I already was.)

3 comments:

  1. Girl... I wouldn't know how you would handle it if you were from New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent topic

    Some of my friend on www.RentAFriend.com
    told me about this.

    I think this is best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent topic

    Some of my friend on www.RentAFriend.com
    told me about this.

    I think this is best!

    ReplyDelete